Community Resources

Elderly and Aging Services

Rebuild Together Omaha - Healthy at Home Emergency Repair Program

965-9201:  Emergency repairs for issues that cannot wait until the annual rebuilding day. Repairs include broken toilet and plumbing repairs, electrical emergencies, gas leaks, caving foundations, slip and fall hazards, and other serious problems requiring immediate attention. Services available to homeowners east of 52nd Street in Omaha who are elderly (age 62 and older) or permanently disable with limited income. Applications for assistance are available on the website.

Rebuild Together Omaha - Rebuilding Day Program

965-9201:  Annual program in which volunteers perform needed repairs and maintenance for homeowners east of 52nd Street in Omaha who are elderly (age 62 and older) or permanently disabled with limited income. Work includes but is not limited to painting, cleaning, and repairs to bathrooms, kitchens, porches, and stairs. Applications for assistance are available on the website.

Education - College Planning

Creighton Educational Opportunity Center

2002 Burt Street - (402) 280-3300: Assistance with entry and reentry into a 2 year or 4 year college, including application assistance, entrance exam preparation, financial aid application, and scholarship search.  The EOC is open Monday through Friday.  Walk-ins are accepted, but making an appointment is highly recommended.

EducationQuest Foundation

11031 Elm Street (Rockbrook Village, 108th and Center) - (402) 391-4033: Assistance with researching schools, exploring career options, looking for scholarships, completing and filing financial aid applications, and understanding student loans.  Call for an appointment or access information online at

Education - English as a Second Language (ESL)

Creighton Educational Opportunity Center

2002 Burt Street - (402) 280-3300: These ESL classes are 'open entry' throughout the year, providing instruction in English speaking, reading, writing and listening for adults who range in ability from absolute non-speakers of English to those who are nearly fluent. Courses are designed to help students acquire the language skills needed to function more effectively in their daily lives and the workplace. All classes are free of charge.

Latino Center of the Midlands

4821 South 24th Street - (402) 733-2720: Offers English as a Second Language to Spanish Speakers.

Emergency Financial Assistance

Bellevue Human Services - Emergency Assistance

204 West Mission Avenue - (402) 293-3138: The City of Bellevue Human Services Department takes applications for assistance for Bellevue residents.  Assistance is provided by charitable donations.  Appointments to apply for assistance can be made by calling Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30pm.  All applicants must provide proof of residency using proper identification.  Assistance is available for utilities and rent in emergency situations.

Douglas County General Assistance

1111 S 41st Street, Suite 220 - Intake and Referral Line (402) 444-6215: Financial assistance provided through this program may include rent, mortgage payments, board and room, utilities, food, clothing and non-food items.  Assistance is limited to those persons in Douglas County between the ages of nineteen and sixty-four who are not eligible for other public assistance and/or do not have sufficient income or resources to meet all or part of their shelter needs.  Eligibility is based on income and resources.  General Assistance payments are made directly to the landlord, and/or utility company.  Merchandise cards are provided to purchase non-food necessities at Dollar General Stores.

Douglas County Veterans' Service Office - Nebraska Veterans Aid Fund

Douglas County (402) 444-7180: Temporary emergency aid fund assists veterans, their spouses, and dependents when an unforeseen emergency occurs disrupting their normal method of living and when other resources are not immediately available for food, fuel, shelter, wearing apparel, funeral, medical and surgical items.  Applications must be made through the County Veterans Service Officer

Heartland Family Service - Emergency Services (Sarpy County)

302 American Parkway, Papillion - (402) 552-7073 or (402) 339-2544: Emergency assistance available for residents of Sarpy County for rent, utilities, and food.  This program works with Bellevue Human Services, ENCAP-Bellevue, and St. Vincent de Paul-Bellevue.  Individuals may only receive assistance once a year from one of these agencies.

Holy Family Catholic Church - Door Ministry

1715 Izard Street - 341-6561:  Emergency financial assistance for rent, utilities, transportation, medication, and other needs as presented. Office hours are Monday through Thursday from 9:00AM - 1:00PM.

Metropolitan Utilities District - Heat Aid Fund

(402) 898-5966: First contact the Nebraska Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).  If you do not qualify through LIHEAP, call to schedule an interview for assistance from the Heat Aid Fund.  Funds are distributed through The Salvation Army

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services - Low Income Energy Assistance Program

Douglas and Sarpy Counties 1313 Farnam Street - (402) 595-2880: The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides assistance with electricity, fuel oil, gas, coal, wood, kerosene, propane, or other fuel sources for low income individuals and families.  Assistance with heat payments and furnace purchace or repair is available for qualifying households from October 1 to March 31.  Cooling assistance including air conditioning purchase and repair and fans is offered for qualifying households from June 1 to August 31.  Payments are made directly to providers and are limited to one payment per year of no more than $500.  Emergency payments are only offered for during the heating season.  For assistance contact DHHS or apply online.

Omaha Public Power District - Energy Assistance

(402) 343-7755 (Spanish 402-343-7711): First contact the Nebraska Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).  If you do not qualify through LIHEAP, call to request assistance from OPPD.  Funds are administered by the American Red Cross

Omaha World Herald - Goodfellows

Goodfellows' emergency fund is designed to assist people with one-time, urgent needs that cannot be met through other sources. Goodfellows works with four agencies that screen applicants for the emergency assistance program.

To apply for assistance contact one of the following agencies:

Catholic Charities (South Omaha Residents): (402) 731-5413

Heartland Family Service - Sarpy County: (402) 291-6065 or Douglas County: (402) 457-7792

Eastern Nebraska Community Action Partnership - Douglas County: (402) 453-5656 ext 200, South Omaha: (402) 595-1122, or Sarpy County: (402) 292-2961

Together, Inc.: (402) 345-8047

United Way: 211 or (402) 444-6666

Pottawattamie County General Assistance - Council Bluffs

515 5th Avenue - (712) 328-5867: One time financial assistance available for those in need who meet qualifications to pay for current rent or utility bills, propane, medications, and medical co-payments.  General Assistance is a last resort program, so all other options must be accessed first.  Assistance is not available to pay for past month's bills, deposits, charges for connection or reconnection of services, telephones, cable, late fees, rent paid to relatives, over the counter medications, narcotics, or other addictive medications.  General assistance also runs a back to work program which provides limited fianncial assistance for up to three months while an applicant looks for employment and an interim disability program to assist people while they apply for disability.

Sarpy County General Assistance

(402) 593-4400:  Financial assistance for rent, utilities, and non-food items. Eligibility is based on income and resources. Payments will be made directly to the landlord and/or utility company. Vouchers are provided to purchase non-food items at No Frills Supermarkets. General Assistance will not be used to supplement federal or state assistance programs such as ADC, SSI, or Social Security.

Sarpy County Veterans Office - Nebraska Veterans Aid Fund

1308 Gold Coast Road, Suite 100 - (402) 593-2203: Applications considered for emergency  expenditures for monthly expenses to include utilities, food, and housing.

The Salvation Army - Material Assistance & Seasonal Services (MASS)
3612 Cuming Street OR 2825 Y Street - (402) 898-5860: The Material Assistance & Seasonal Services (MASS) program provides emergency assistance with food, clothing, rent, household items, and prescription drugs.  In addition, seasonal assistance is provided for heat in the winter and fans in the summer.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul

(402) 346-5445:  The Society of St. Vincent de Paul offers temporary emergency assistance to those experiencing financial difficulties. Services are provided by volunteers who work within specific Catholic parish boundaries. Individuals will be directed to the Catholic parish closest to their home address.  Each group of parish volunteers helps according to its ability.  To find the parish closest to you, please call, or visit our website and complete the “client intake” form online.  It will be forwarded to the main office for review.