Community Resources

Housing - Transitional

Salvation Army 37th Street Residential Readiness Program

3612 Cuming Street - (402) 898-7521: Provides short-term (24) weeks transitional housing and readiness classes for homeless individuals, married couples, and one to two parent families.  They will receive furnished living accommodations, employment assistance, intensive case management, 6 months aftercare, meals, parenting classes, substance abuse and mental health screening, Readiness Life Skills Classes for 12 weeks and referrals for professional counseling.

Salvation Army Scattered Site/Harrington Homes

(402) 898-7521: Provides an 18-month transitional housing program that helps families and individuals reintegrate back into the community by providing housing, support services and assistance with obtaining affordable and safe permanent housing upon departure of the program.

Salvation Army Transitional Housing Residential Units (THRU)

3612 Cuming Street - (402) 898-7521: 12-month transitional housing program that helps families and individuals reintegrate back into the community by providing housing, support services and assistance with obtaining affordable and safe permanent housing upon departure from the program.

Santa Monica House

130 North 39th Street - (402) 558-7088: Santa Monica House offers a residential program including individual and group counseling, 12-step meetings, life skills training and relapse prevention to help women cope with daily stresses without dependence on drugs or alcohol.  Santa Monica’s Halfway House Program, a six to twelve month program, and Intermediate Residential Program, which is a twelve to twenty-four month program, offers care to women age 19 and over for up to two years. Residents must be willing to learn new methods of problem-solving and must abstain from mood-altering chemicals during their entire stay.

Stephen Center Transitional Living Program

2723 Q Street - (402) 731-0238: Independent housing opportunities for individuals who have successfully completed a drug and alcohol treatment program.

The A.R.C.H. Halfway House

604 South 37th Street - (402) 346-8898: The A.R.C.H. provides transitional living services to men age 18 and older who are recovering from addiction.  Consideration for admission required at least 72 hours of continuous sobriety. The living environment at the A.R.C.H. house is highly structured.  Residents are expected to pay room and board and maintain full-time employment.  Required programming may include individual and group counseling, AA meetings, GED classes, budgeting, and time management classes.

Immigrant and Refugee Services

Latino Center of the Midlands

4821 South 24th Street - (402) 733-2720: Provides assistance with legal and immigration forms, consultation and referral with licensed lawyers, legal and immigration technical support, U.S. citizenship exam preparation classes, income tax assistance, educational workshops, coordination of resources, and referrals to community programs and services for member of Omaha's Hispanic community.

Mexican Consulate

7444 Farnam Street - 402-595-1841 or 402-595-1862

Southern Sudan Community Association

3610 Dodge Street Suite 100 - 554-0759:  Assistance and support for refugees from any country. Services and programs include resettlement and placement, case management, cultural orientation, ESL, interpretation services, legal assistance, money management and budgeting, employment assistance, transportation training and driver education.


Douglas County Health Department - Birth and Death Certificates

1819 Farnam - 444-7204:  Birth and death certificates of individuals born in Douglas County. $12 for birth certificates, $11 for death certificates.

Together, Inc.

812 South 24th Street - (402) 345-8047: Together issues vouchers for state identification cards and certified birth certificates needed for employment, housing, banking, school, and benefits.  Lists of the documentation needed to receive identification assistance are available at

Legal Assistance

Concord Mediation Center

4225 North 90th Street - (402) 345-1131: Mediation for families in conflict over issues related to children.  Services offered on sliding scale fee basis.

Creighton University - Milton R. Abrahams Legal Clinic

2500 California Plaza - (402) 280-3068:  Free legal assistance on civil matters for low income residents of Douglas County. Civil matters may include child support and child custody, divorce, wills and trusts, and landlord/tenant issues.

Iowa Legal Aid

(800) 532-1275 - Older Iowans (age 60 and over) (800) 992-8161: Iowa Legal Aid is a nonprofit organization providing critical legal assistance in civil matters to low-income and vulnerable Iowans who have nowhere else to turn.  Along with volunteer lawyers throughout the state, Iowa Legal Aid helps the legal system work for those who cannot afford help with legal issues.  Services may be available in areas of child support, custody, visitation, divorce, domestic violence, guardianship, landlord/tenant issues, foreclosure, home ownership, discrimination, sexual harassment, consumer issues, public benefits, aging issues, taxes, disability, disaster relief, health, individual rights, veterans' issues, retirement, and resources for new Iowans.

Legal Aid of Nebraska

209 South 19th Street, Suite 200 - (402) 348-1069 - Outside of Douglas County (877) 250-2016 - Elder Access Line (age 60 and over) (800) 527-7249 - Native American Access Line (800) 729-9908: Legal Aid of Nebraska provides assistance to low-income and elderly people in civil matters. Eligibility for assistance may be based on income and assets of all members of the household and the legal problem.  Legal Aid of Nebraska does not handle criminal matters in state or federal court, personal injury or workers’ compensation cases. Legal Aid of Nebraska’s legal services are free; however, clients may be responsible for court costs.  Legal Aid may be able to assist in the in the areas of divorce, custody, child support, protection orders, guardianship, bankruptcy, collections, garnishments, landlord/tenant rights, foreclosure, home ownership, SSDI, SSI, public benefits, unemployment benefits, Medicaid, Medicare, and wills.

Legal Aid of Nebraska-Access to Justice (A2J) Self Help Center

209 South 19th Street, 2nd Floor - A2J-Omaha is a store-front office open each afternoon between the hours of 1:00 and 4:00 p.m. A person must be eligible for Legal Aid services to get assistance through the walk-in center. The goal of the walk-in center is to answer legal questions for people who are caught up in or want to pursue a court case or legal proceeding. An attorney and paralegal are on staff each afternoon to answer legal questions and help people sort out problems.

The A2J Center conducts clinics to “assist” people in representing themselves in three specific areas:            

  • Changing the amount of a child support order, if the legal requirements for making that change have been met; and
  • Helping non-custodial parents get court-ordered visitation with their children.
  • Helping people establish paternity, custody, child support and parenting time.

Nebraska Appleseed Information Line

(800) 845-3746: Nebraska Appleseed is a non-profit, nonpartisan public interest law firm that works for equal justice and full opportunity for all Nebraskans. Appleseed uses litigation, public policy reform, and community education to positively impact low-income families, immigrants, children in foster care, and access to health care.  The Nebraska Appleseed Intake and Information Line is available to provide referrals, information, and advice regarding child welfare, public benefits, health care access, and immigration.

Nebraska State Bar Association - Volunteer Lawyers Project

(800)-742-3005:  Free or reduced rate legal assistance on civil matters for low income individuals living in Nebraska.

Urban League of Nebraska - Discrimination Consultations

3040 Lake Street - 402-453-9730: A representative from the City of Omaha Human Rights and Relations Department is available for consultation on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Urban League of Nebraska Family Resource Center.  Walk-ins are welcome or call for an appointment.

Medical - Basic Screening and Immunizations

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services - Every Woman Matters

(800) 532-2227: Every Woman Matters is a program that can help you pay for your health check-up. The program is for women between the ages of 40 and 74 who meet income eligibilty guidelines.  Services include clinical breast exams, mammograms, pap tests, pelvic exams, blood pressure checks, height/weight checks, lipids/triglycerides checks, and glucose tests.  Call or go online to apply.