Community Resources

Assistive Technology

League of Human Dignity

5513 Center Street - 595-1256 OR 1520 Avenue M, Council Bluffs - 712-323-6863:  Offers assistance and support to individuals with temporary, progressive, or permanent disabilities. Services include information and referral, advocacy, peer support, independent living skills training, assistance in finding and paying for accessible housing, financial benefits counseling, equipment sales, repair, loan, and rental, and finding personal assistants and chore providers.

Rebuild Together Omaha

965-9201:  Provides home modifications to allow elderly and disabled homeowners to stay in their homes. Modifications include, but are not limited to increased lighting, installation of grab bars, ramps, and handrails, and increasing toilet height. Rebuilding Together also provides shower chairs, reachers, and other adaptive equipment.

Computer and Internet Access

Heart Ministry Center - Resource Center

2222 Binney Street - 451-2321:  By Appointment only - assistance with internet job searching, updating resumes, writing cover letters, and applying for benefits such as SNAP Medicaid.

Iowa Western Community College - Adult Learning Center

Omni Center, 300 West Broadway, Suite 12 - (712) 325-3266 or (800) 432-5852 ext. 3266: Iowa Western's Adult Learning Center offers FREE computer instruction for beginners.  Call for assistance.

Midlands Literacy Center - Computer Classes

324 South 72nd Street: 342-7323: Basic computer classes and one-on-one assistance, call for an appointment for assessment.

Omaha Public Library

Basic computer skills classes for general computer use, internet use, email, Microsoft Office programs, online job search, and laptop use. Classes are free to Library card holders. Library cards are free for Douglas County residents. Register for classes by calling any library branch or online at

Child Care

Iowa Department of Human Services - Child Care Assistance (Pottawattamie County)

417 Kanesville Blvd. - (712) 328-5661: Child Care Assistance helps pay for the care of children while a parent or caretaker works or attends school.  Children must be under 13 (19 if the child has special needs) and the parent or caretaker must receive help from the Family Investment Program or meet low-income guidelines.

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services - Child Care

Website contains information on child care options in Nebraska, including a guide listing all licensed child care providers.

Clothing - General

Care and Share House - Free Store

1808 5th Avenue AND 600 South Main Street, Council Bluffs - 712-323-4889:  Clothing, coats, shoes, and small household items available to anyone during open hours. The 5th Avenue location is open Monday and Thursday 9:00AM-12:00PM. The Main Street location is open Monday and Wednesday 5:30PM-7:30PM. www.fifthavenueumc.come/CareandShare

Community of Christ Thrift Store and Food Pantry - Council Bluffs

17 North 2nd, Council Bluffs - (712) 328-8122: Clothing vouchers available once every 3 months.  Accessible Monday through Friday, 9:00AM to 4:00PM.

First Lutheran Church

542 South 31st Street - 345-7506:  Clothing and household items for those in need. The closet is open Monday through Friday from 8:30AM-3:00PM.

Heart Ministry Center

2222 Binney Street - 451-2321:  Clothing closet for men, women and children open Monday, Thursday, and Friday from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. The clothing closet may be utilized once every 30 days and there is no limit to how many pieces of clothing a client may take. The clothing closet also houses a play area for children.

Heartland Family Service - Sarpy Donations Center

Clothing, personal care items, furniture, and household goods available to current Heartland Family Service clients. Appointments must be scheduled through an Heartland Family Service staff member.

Holy Family Catholic Church - Door Ministry

1715 Izard Street - 341-6561:  Clothing pantry for adults and children available Monday through Thursday from 9:00AM - 12:00PM. Also provides new underwear and socks for school age children annually in July.

Omaha Public Schools - Project Help

Project Help is a resource that assists with providing clothing to qualifying families in the Omaha Public Schools. During the months of September through December 1st, families who have children between the ages of 4-14 or PreK-9th may apply for clothing assistance through the school nurse.


Open Door Mission - Timberlake Outreach Center - King's Closet

2107 East Locust - (402) 829-1510: Timberlake Outreach Center - visit once every 30 days free clothing, toys, shoes, household, diapers & food pantries Walk-in Monday thru Saturday 10am – 5pm.


Project Hope Food Pantry

4205 Boyd Street - 453-7649:  Food, some clothing, and personal care items. Requires a photo ID, social security cards for each household member, and a piece of mail with a current address. Individuals may receive food once every 30 days up to 6 times per year.

The Clothing Closet

7511 South 36th Street, Suite 9, Bellevue - (402) 593-2346: Offers career and interview clothing as well as casual wear for men and women. Call to schedule an appointment.  Open to anyone in need.

The Salvation Army - Material Assistance & Seasonal Services (MASS)
3612 Cuming Street - (402) 898-5860: The Material Assistance & Seasonal Services (MASS) program provides emergency assistance with food, clothing, rent, household items, and prescription drugs.  In addition, seasonal assistance is provided for heat in the winter and fans in the summer.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul

2101 Leavenworth Street: The Leavenworth Store will give two (2) free changes of clothes to any person needing them once every 90 days. These clothes may be obtained on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday.  The last four numbers of your social security number will be required.  No voucher is required for the free change of clothing.